About Me

My Photo
United Kingdom
Tyson is an underpaid writer, beer anarchist and cheese addict living in the North West of England.
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Wednesday, 29 February 2012

Brodies@PSBH

Monday night saw a sell out crowd attend the Port Street Beer House for a meet the brewer with Brodies. Not so long ago, you rarely got to sample their beer north of Watford. But now, thanks to a distribution deal with Boggart, their wares are reaching an even more appreciative audience.

The evening started with the origins of the brewery and then, via a few anecdotes, proceeded to highlight several of their beers. They are unashamed hop devotees and that certainly came through in the beers. You can check out some photos from the event here.

Citra: This is a very interesting 3.1% hop-bomb. Packing 6kg of Citra into such a low vol beer proved too much for some, but I lapped it up. Will I be proved wrong and forced to eat Eddie’s, the eager legal beagle, tartan long johns when a 2.8% version of this appears?

Hoxton: Excellent amber ale that was quite “meaty” and full of Citra and Galaxy hops.

Dalston Black IPA: A tasty variation on Hoxton that highlights the Galaxy hop.

Romanoff: A 13% barley wine that demanded respect.

There was also an IPA made with rye and Citra. This was the only one that didn’t really work for me. The rye did add some dryness and it was interesting to hear why Citra was chosen, but perhaps Simcoe or even Nelson Sauvin might work better?
Oh and a big shout out must go to the Crusty Cob whose pies were excellent

8 comments:

Bailey said...

We loved Citra when we tried it last year. Very clean and zinging.

Again, yet more evidence that rye in beer sounds cool but brings little to the party...

Ron Pattinson said...

Funnily enough, I was in the Port Street Beer House on Tuesday. I tried some of the Brodies beers. I found them pretty dull and very samey - lots citrusy hops of and bugger all else. A pint was definitely more than enough. And still had me burping up bloody grapefruit for the next hour.

I really hope British brewing isn't going to go down this dead end.

Bailey said...

Ron -- British brewing is big enough at the moment to accomodate everything from traditional to US-influenced; from subtle milds to unsubtle hop-bombs. A few breweries doing this kind of thing aren't the end of the world.

Tyson said...

Ron

What Bailey said. Also I think it's a bit of a generalisation to dismiss all their beers as "samey". A 13% barley wine, a rye IPA-certainly not beers driven by citrus flavours.

Bailey.

Glad I'm not alone with rye in beer. My issue with rye IPA is that if it so difficult to get hops that can cut through the rye, then why bother brewing with it?!

Bailey said...

Tyson -- it's hard to brew with, too, I gather -- bungs up the mash, turns to glue. Don't begrudge people trying, but not sure anyone has really demonstrated it's worth the bother.

Ron Pattinson said...

Our party had three different beers, all IPA variations. I couldn't really tell them apart, not without looking, that is, as they were three different colours. Not for me.

Ron Pattinson said...

On reflection, I've been unfair on Brodies. All the beers I tried were types of IPA. I should give their other beers a try.

Bailey said...

Ron -- glad to hear you say that. Although they do have a tendency towards brewing US-influenced beers and perhaps overusing citrus hops, they're also the people who made it possible to walk into a beautiful, slightly tatty Victorian pub in Leyton and drink a mild, an export stout and a bitter brewed in the borough. I reckon the last time that was possible was probably before World War II.

Hope they keep that balance of respect for tradition and trendiness as they grow.