About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Saturday, 29 March 2008

back to the future



Well, having failed to source Stone’s California Double IPA, despite scouring Manchester, desperate measures were needed. So I found myself having breakfast at Bury’s gubernatorial Wetherspoons fun palace. Although what Sir Robert Peel would make of the dump named in his honour, God only knows. Anyway, 10am is probably the best time to visit here, as the deadlegs have yet to arrive, and you can’t argue with £1.99. I killed the time waiting for my lift with a pint of Kelham Island Pale Rider (5.2%) which failed to impress. Saltaire Bavarian Dark (4.9%) was much better and had a well balanced roast/malt ratio. Then it was straight over to the Regal Moon in Rochdale and my meeting with Stone’s. Truly an amazing beer and Nirvana for hop lovers. It does not drink like 7%. Unfortunately, my chauffeur wasn’t about to wait around indefinitely, and as I had to get back, I had to make do with just 2 pints.

Back in Bury and what to do? My next appointment wasn’t till 6, so how to fill the afternoon? I hadn’t taken time off just to sit around watching Lovejoy. On the other hand, sitting in the Trackside for 5 hours wasn’t really a good idea, either. So I decided to travel around a little and spread the alcohol load. The Coach & Horses at Edenfield provided a good pint of Taylors Landlord, whilst the Whitchaff had some excellent Robinson’s beers, and a rather tasty vegetarian curry. Several good beers on at the Hare & Hounds, with the pick being George Wright Drunken Duck (3.9%). This combines various American hops to make a very pale, drinkable, hoppy session beer.

Time to meet the Chuckle Brothers at the Troughside. And, heavens to Betsy, there are actually festival beers available. Phoenix Spotland Gold (4.1%) isn’t one of them, but it’s another great, hoppy, session beer. Highgate Whisky Ale (4.4%) confirmed what I’ve always thought of it-a very poor beer, overbalanced with malt, and more of a gimmick than a real beer. Hydes Trojan Horse (4.2%) was also disappointing. Surprisingly bland, I could only imagine it was being served very green. Over at the Trackside, several beers had run out, but I managed to squeeze a pint out of Acorn Madness, before switching to Wold Top Gold (4.8%) which was surprisingly good. Pale, and easy on the palate for its strength, the Styrian Goldings gave it a fruity bitter taste. Suddenly it was 11pm and people were leaving for home and/or catching buses. Which is always the signal that it’s Thatchers Cheddar Valley time. This orange coloured 6% cider beauty is the cure for all men’s ails. Well, that’s what I keep telling myself anyway…

2 comments:

Stonch said...

That is dedication - four beers in the morning!

I must admit I'm a coffee drinker only pre-noon...

Tyson said...

Well, sometimes it just has to be done. Anyway, it was all Tandleman's fault anyway.