About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Tuesday, 1 April 2008

Goodbye S&N

And so it ends-not with a bang, but a whimper. Yesterday S&N shareholders voted overwhelmingly to accept a £7.8 billion bid from Heineken and Carlsberg. Well, they would, wouldn’t they? Heineken now control all those brands we all love so much: Fosters, John Smiths and Strongbow. Ha, as far as I’m concerned, they are welcome to them. I’ll shed no tears for S&N, just as I shed none for Whitbread when that disappeared up its own rear. The thing that really annoyed me was the comments of S&N chairman Sir Paddy Pratswick-sorry, Sir Brian Stewart. After seeing 259 years (not all of them bad), of brewing come to an end, he said “while there is sadness at the passing of two centuries of brewing history, the prevalent emotion today is pride.” Eh? Pride in what? Pride in overseeing S&N’s dismantlement and getting a fat payout, I presume. Pass the sick bucket, please.

4 comments:

Andy Holmes said...

Even though I come from Tadcaster (John Smiths) I feel strangely ambivalent to the whole thing, bring me:

T Taylor's Landlord
Bateman's XXXB
Orval
Spezial Rauchbier

and

Hummel Kellerbier

Not to mention a great pub and great company.

A combination of these 3 has been sadly lacking in Tadcaster for many years.

Tyson said...

I always imagined Tadcaster to be quite good pub wise. Not sure really why, but was disappointed when I actually went.

The Southport Drinker said...

We won't shed a tear for the crap beers but I have great fears about how S&N pubs (a lot of which have good ranges of guest beers) are going to fare under the new regime. Will H&C give a s&hit about guest beers?

Tyson said...

I understand the concern over the future of S&N pubs, but there's no reason to think that Heineken will be worse. Their lack of interest might mean they have a hands off approach. I guess only time will tell.