About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Wednesday, 23 April 2008

Ramsbottom Ruminations

A few days ago I received a phone call asking if I minded my name being passed on in connection with a new business venture. Apparently, an upmarket beer bar was planning to open in Ramsbottom and would I mind giving some advice. All those years of sleeping in doorways, on park benches, just to selflessly test real ale. I knew one day they’d pay off. Someone wants to hear my views on beer, pubs and such like. And they’re willing to pay for the privilege. Let’s be honest. I would have probably done it for free, but hallelujah there is a God!

Actually, if poor old Beadle hadn’t popped his clogs, I might have been half suspecting a setup. It sounded too good to be true. But yesterday the call came and an informal meeting was arranged. My choice (quelle surprise) was a good pub. Hence my evening in the Hare & Hounds. Quite clever, I thought, as not only am I guaranteed a good session, but I can use the pub as a benchmark. I was a bit worried at first, as one wants to make a good impression, and it’s one thing to be a armchair philosopher, but we are talking someone’s livelihood here. Anyway, it turned out Rick, my benefactor, liked a scoop as well. More of this as it nears fruition, but if everything works out, Ramsbottom will get a very significant addition to the drinking/dining scene.

Being a philanthropist, I had suggested some people might happen to be passing. However, surprisingly few people fancied a free session on a Tues night-fearing a Weds morning backlash? And some actually had things to do. If it had been me, I would have been round quicker than you can say “Tibet is a province of China.” Anyway, those of us present enjoyed a varied selection. Outlaw Wild Mule (3.9%) was as good as usual. New brewery to me-Concrete Cow, had Watling Gold (4.5%) which despite being light, had a smoked malt aftertaste. Fyfe Niblick (4.2%) was also light, and pleasant enough, if unexciting. Abbeydale Brimstone (3.9%) was much more like it, with a very noticeable bitterness. However, the find of the night was Black Country Thomas Guest Cobblers (4.4%) which was light, and had the wheat beer bubblegum effect tempered by pleasing bitterness.

A good night out and, despite my fears, when I got home, I had remembered to record the Sandy Denny Story.

2 comments:

Tandleman said...

Rick? Not Don Ricardo I hope? No. He bought the ale!

Tyson said...

Ricardo in charge of a bar? It would be like putting the fox in charge of the hen house!