About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Saturday, 12 April 2008

room at the inn?

Interesting that the national media (www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=558639&in_page_id=1770) have just picked up on this little nugget, despite the pub having being open since December. Business isn’t exactly booming and I’m not surprised. Call me old fashioned, but a pub without alcohol isn’t actually a pub in my eyes. And this one doesn’t even have a TV. Now some bloggers might appreciate that, but it does make for a very quiet night. Hold on, there’s snooker-like snooker halls have. Hold on there’s a prayer room-er, bit like a mosque has, actually. It’s obviously more of a community centre, which is fine, but why dress it up a pub? Even the name “The Halal Inn” sounds more like a kebab shop than a public house. Sadly, I think the concept of a chain of these places is pure pie in the sky. The owners say they have spotted a gap in the market, but that’s what all the losers on Dragons Den say. Sometimes there is a very simple reason for a gap in the market-there’s just no demand for a product.

This inn isn’t that far away from me, so I just might pay it a visit. Then again, perhaps not. As the song says “there's nothing so lonesome, so morbid or drear. Than to stand in a bar of a pub with no beer.”

No comments: