About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Friday, 2 May 2008

Outstanding Brewing In Bury

A note from a concerned reader. My last posting wasn’t a song title as, apparently, is customary. Well, ha, I was going to call it “The Lamb lies down on Broadway” which is a pithy little Genesis number. However, there is no way Tottington Road can be confused with Broadway, so I didn’t. But thanks for writing.

Yesterday I paid a visit to Bury’s new brewery. I’d heard they were close to operational and thought I’d better check on progress. The Outstanding Brewing Company is based in Britannia Mill, which is situated in a rather run down part of town. It’s a joint venture between Paul Sandiford, Glen Woodcock and David Porter. Dave, of course, is formerly of Porters Brewing and former owner of the much missed Arthur Inn. Glen is an engineering chum of my brother’s acquaintance, whilst Paul is currently a solicitor with Lancashire County Council.

The brewery is quite spacious for a new setup, but it needs to be with all that is planned. Physically it’s a 15 barrel plant running alongside a 2.5 barrel experimental unit. A barley wine was produced on this last week, but apparently “experimental” was the word to describe it. The main plant will eventually be producing a wide range of cask ales including cask lagers. Bottling will also be done on the premises. I say eventually because, not unexpectedly, they are behind schedule. Apart from getting their own brewery up and running, Dave and Glen are still busy installing them for other people. Including a certain Mr Ramsay. Add to that the training scheme they run on site for brewers and it’s no surprise things are lagging behind.

However, I was able to sample their Pilsner and Amber Bock which have been laagered since January. They are just in the process of matching carbonation and I was happy to help with my sampling skills. The Amber Bock is indeed amber and tastes all of its 6%. I’m not a huge fan of this style of beer and although it’s a better representation of its kind than, say Cains was, it probably needs a little tweak. I was pleasantly pleased with the Pilsner, however. This was pellucid, with soft floral notes and a good clean finish. Very drinkable for a 5% and the carbonation was just about right I’d say. Obviously these decisions can’t be rushed though, but eventually I left, very happy, clutching the first fruits of their bottling efforts. Another project I shall be keeping you updated with.

I could bore you with some nice pics of gleaming fermentors. That is if I had thought to take any. Instead I decided to snap legendary scoffer “The Stomach” polishing off the buffet, a mere 40 mins before we were due to have a curry. I blame an afternoon spent on Bock & Pilsner. In fact, I blame those two for me gambling on a Balti Ashwarl with extra garlic and chillies. But that is a tale for another time…

No comments: