About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Wednesday, 14 May 2008

We Are The Champions

So, having shook off the post-Prague blues, it was time to celebrate. What to do? Something amazing, something spectacular, obviously. Fireworks? No, too sunny for that. A grand street party? Maybe another time. A few drinks round Manchester had to suffice then. Followed by some alfresco drinking outside the Trackside. Where I was joined by the Whitefield Holts Bandit for a couple. I knew what I was going to be drinking later, so early doors were spent experimenting. Titanic Black Ice (4.1%) was dark and interesting-roast malts as expected, but hints of fruit and pepper as well. Howard Town Hope (4.1%) was light and completely lacking in character. This brewery has really gone off the boil and all their new beers seem to be very average. Hornbeam Bitter (3.8%) proved to be the best of the lower strength beers, with a nice bit of bitterness coming through. Joe Stalin staggered in for (literally this time) one drink, and his departure coincided with the WHB also leaving. Left alone, without a chaperone, what else could I do but try the special Marble IPA. This 6.6% beauty had the hue and bite of a true IPA, or what purists like to think of as a real IPA anyway. What matters is that it was very good and kept me company till the sun was setting over the yardarm. At which time I gingerly made my way to Pizza Pioneer and treated myself to a half price pizza-as I’ve discovered the sort of treat all too rare in foreign climates.

No comments: