About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Tuesday, 20 May 2008

Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You)

Or crash, bang, wallop what a photograph. There I was in the big city, relaxing after a spot of Tiffin, and seeking some liquid refreshment. Being in the neighbourhood, I thought I’d check the Seven Stars at the Printworks. For those not in the loop, the Printworks is a leisure complex in Manchester city centre. It comprises a multi-screen cinema (including IMAX), and several bars. The Seven Stars is a JD Wetherspoons which, rather unusually for them, doesn’t open for breakfast. It tends to be a late night haunt, but I was still surprised at how few people there were in, considering its location and the availability of food.

A quick glance told me there was, as usual, nothing on offer likely to tempt me. So I headed for the exit, stopping only to snap a photo of the bar. And that’s where my problems began. A woman rushed up to me, completely spoiling my photo btw (hence this official one of the exterior) and demanded to know why I was taking photos. When I enquired what it had to do with her, she said she worked there. I explained it was for the web and was informed I should ask permission first. I replied I didn’t need permission-I wasn’t photographing children or even individuals, and that last time I checked it was still, mainly, a free country.

By now some apron-wearing jobsworth had joined in, enquiring if I was causing trouble. I explained once again, only to be told that I should ask permission and explain what it’s for. The reason I don’t ask permission says I, is because I won’t get it. After all, it’s about to illustrate a piece on how bad the pub is. Mr Apron then says hand the phone over or we will call the police. I think it was at this point I told him to go pleasure himself where the Fosters doesn’t shine. I was quite looking forward to a chat with the Old Bill by now, but Miss Frostyknickers intervened to say it would be better if I just left. Which is what I did. But not before pointing out that was exactly what I was intending to do some ten minutes earlier. I only wish now I had thought to snap both of them. Ah well, maybe next time.

I should point out that this incident took place BEFORE any alcohol was ingested!

3 comments:

The Sd said...

Good for you for telling them to piss off.

paul said...

What a bunch of fascists.

Paul Garrard said...

Not enough people taking tiffin these days. Perhaps the staff at JDW need to chill out a bit, have tiffin.