About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Sunday, 4 May 2008

Yesterday Once More

Another day, another beer. A few warm up pints in the Lamb watching the footie. George Wright’s Mild (4%) was dark, with hints of sweet malt. Some debate had gone on as to how to celebrate the Bank Holiday, but I detected a weary inertia. Hence, I suspect the easy option-meet at the Trackside. I’d had my fill of Haka so stayed clear of that little time bomb. Bazens Joule in the Crown (4%) was light, but rather thin and insipid. The complete lack of any condition didn’t help. Much better was Bradfield Farmers Stout, which at 4.5% really carried some flavour. Dark brown/black in colour, the initial impression is of chocolate, coffee, and roast malt. Taste is quite complex with sweet chocolate and toffee in the mix. The finish was a little disappointing with the dryness quickly giving way to sweet malt.

Having sampled several on the bar, I was in need of something with bite. By now the gang were all gravitating towards the Haka-particularly impressive for the WHB who had been warming up on Holts. Well he isn’t called the Whitefield Holts Bandit for nothing. I found Titanic Golden Age (4.6%) struck the right balance for me, combining body and taste and much more moreish than the Haka. All too soon, it was goodbye from them. Oh what to do? Too early to call it a day, too late to go home, get changed and hit the town. So it was I accepted the “B” team’s offer of a drink at the Hare & Hounds. Here I really enjoyed the Hawkshead Lakeland Gold (4.4%) nice and fruity, and their Brodie’s Prime (4.9%) which was dark and rich in flavour.
Back in Bury, I couldn’t resist calling in at the Peel. Having rubbished their beer choice, I settled for a double Laiphroaig. Well, two actually. Then it was just time for a biriyani before bedtime beckoned.

No comments: