About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Sunday, 29 June 2008

Good Golly Miss Dolly

Yes it’s that time, once again, to dig out that sequined dress, those Western boots and cowboy hat. But enough of what I get up to on my days off. Dolly Parton was back in town and the MEN had the feel of a disco rodeo about it. Actually a gay, Western rodeo, judging by the number of Dolly drag queens present-some of whom were very good, by the way. Personally, I prefer seeing Ms P at smaller venues, but an arena setting does give her free reign to really pull out the stops, even if at times it means overdosing on camp. Still, enough genuine bluegrass moments to remind us what a great singer and songwriter she can be.

Of course, no trip to the big M would be complete without a drink or four. Despite being definitely under par, I gave it my best shot. Loddon Ferryman’s Gold (4.4%) was a pleasant enough start, being an easy drinking golden beer with a slight hint of something more substantial waiting to come through. Orkney Northern Light (4%) was also pretty good, and although golden as well, had much more of a biscuit malt crunch to it. I couldn’t detect any apricot in it, though; despite being assured it was present.

Things were looking good, but took a downward turn with Wye Piddle-Piddle in the Wind (4.5%) which tasted as if someone had done. Once more Phoenix came to the rescue with White Tornado and that carried me through till after the show. A bit of a departure afterwards as I gorged on German wine. Christoffel Erben Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Spätlese was full of fruit, and pears and honey came through at the finish. The 1998 Forster Pechstein Riesling Spätlese Trocken also had honey notes but was much drier in the finish. Best of the bunch was Markus Fries Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese Trocken 2003 which was quite spicy but had a neat dry finish which really appealed.

Altogether now: Joleeene Joleeene...
The illustration of Ms P is by Rick London and is entitled Salvador Dali Parton: Persistence Of Mammories

6 comments:

The Souhtport Drinker said...

Another great concert- they're coming thick and fast - and you managed to squeeze in good boozing. Top marks!

Just ordered tickets for the Reverend Horton Heat at the Manc Academy, life doesn't get better than that!

Tyson said...

Yeah it's been a busy period recently but I ain't complaining. Tends to come in cycles. That should be some show at the academy:)

Boak said...

I love Dolly. The woman's a genius. Unfortunately I've only discovered this in the last couple of months, so I've never seen her.

Tyson said...

Always glad to welcome another Dolly fan aboard

Anonymous said...

Looks like the Wallsend Wonder to me!

Tyson said...

Now that you come to mention it...