About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Saturday, 13 September 2008

Lytham Larks

A nice sunny day was a good omen for our little excursion to Lytham Beer Festival. The change of train at Preston went smoothly enough, but that’s where our luck deserted us. We ground to a halt en route to Lytham as a bridge ahead had been struck by a vehicle. Late and thirsty, we eventually arrived at our destination. First stop was Whelan’s for some sublime fish & chips. Suitably nourished, we made for the Lowther Pavilion and some beer.

The festival was a token festival and, having purchased a handful, we managed to find seats in the side room. There was a fair selection on offer and we wasted no time in getting stuck in. Fallons were a new brewery to me, so I sampled all of their beers on offer. Unfortunately, they seemed very homebrew and I can’t say I’ll be rushing to seek them out again. Fuzzy Duck were better, although do we really need beers such as Cunning Stunt and Shining Wit? Acorn Willamette (5%) had quite a punch but I think Fyne Avalanche (4.5%) was my favourite. It had just the right balance of citrus fruits and bitter hops in the finish.

I was also impressed with Mallinsons Hazy Fantazee (3.8%) which was the first time I’d come across this brewery. I’d heard good things about them and this, and future encounteItalicrs, bore the stories out. However, Lytham itself is a good crawl, so we set out to explore some of the local pubs. The famous Taps was an obvious choice and we got a chance to try out their new outdoor seating area. Just round the corner was the County & Commercial-a new one to me-which provided us with some excellent Phoenix beers. Time was now pressing, so sadly we had to bypass the Ship & Royal before decamping to the railway station. An interesting day out and one l would consider doing again.

No comments: