About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Sunday, 12 April 2009

Front Of The Queue

Oldham Council have rightly come in for ridicule over their plans to tackle binge drinking. Their master plan of introducing post office style queues in pubs and bars and limiting customers to two drinks at a time would be farcical, if it were not outrageously authoritarian. And their review of all 22 licenses, regardless of their history could leave themselves open to legal challenge as it borders on misuse of their licensing authority.

Meanwhile the BBC Magazine has this guide to getting served at the bar. I rarely see 4 & 6 and they are clearly counterproductive. I was taught No. 1, but sadly that’s becoming much rarer these days, whilst 8 is self evident. No. 3 will work in the right circumstances, but everyone has their own favourite strategy. Unless, of course, you’re Tandleman, who only has to walk up to a bar in order to get served...

4 comments:

Curmudgeon said...

Far be it from me to defend such blanket schemes, but my understanding was that the "post office style" queueing would only apply when there was an "all you can drink" or "all drinks for £1" type promotion in operation.

Tyson said...

Yes, apologies for not making that clear. But, in my opinion, it's still wrong in every way.

Curmudgeon said...

Oh, I quite agree, if there are problems with particular venues you need to target them specifically rather than tarring everyone with the same brush. I wonder if this is likely to impose a burden on the mainstream pubs in Oldham town centre which I would assume aren't hotspots of disorder.

Tandleman said...

"Tandleman, who only has to walk up to a bar in order to get served..."

I wish. Sometime I think, hard though it might be to believe, that I'm invisible.