About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Tuesday, 26 May 2009

When Is A Handpull Not A Handpull?

Traditionalists are bemoaning the launch of the new font for Wells and Young’s Bombardier brand. They claim it’s a sell out to the modern Smooth brigade, and a betrayal of the handpull as the symbol of cask. Wells and Young claim that innovation in cask beer has been too slow and that the new look will enable Bombardier to compete with the large lager fonts. Anything that may help increase cask sales is to be welcomed and if that’s a foot high font, then so be it. One problem I do foresee, however, is with the free trade, which must account for a lot of sales. Will pubs that are only taking Bombardier as a guest really want, or even be able to manage, such a large presence on the bar?

7 comments:

sean said...

Didn't Theakstons try something similar?

Woolpack Dave said...

I think it'll bomb....

This type of thing, which is talked about here, is nothing more than a cynical ploy by brewers to tie a pump to one brand.

The thing is, it only does my sort of pub some good. We focus on snubbing the big brands. There is nothing more pleasing, in my view, than a row of obviously free trade hand pulls.

This type of "innovation" says "mass produced" to me. I like something that says "hand crafted"

Tandleman said...

Can't disagree with much of that Dave.

Tyson said...

Good points. I imagine it will go down quite well in their own pubs, but presumably sales are already good there. The free trade, where everyone wants a bigger piece of, is a different matter. Probably disappear overnight, although I am now officially on the lookout for one.

TIW said...

Also tried by GK when they launched St Edmund's wasn't it?

RedNev said...

I'm not too bothered by this, and if it does getting more people drinking real ale, then great, but I think it will go the way of all such gimmicks. Although I'm a staunch real ale drinker, I'm not with the real ale Taliban, sorry the traditionalists, with their silly talk of 'wickets'; real ale is perfectly acceptable when served by electric metered pumps into oversized glasses, which was quite common in the 1970s. At least you always got a full pint without having to request a top-up.

ChrisM said...

At least it looks slightly better than that awful Black Sheep toy. Would (just about) rather drink Bombardier, too. If it gets a few more sales though, who are we to argue?