About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Thursday, 9 July 2009

Any Old Iron

I just knew it was going to be one of those days. Initially it did look promising-go and review a nice tearoom-Cafe Tor-in Helmshore. However, I was soon discombobulated. I was actually going past that and heading out to Holden Wood Antiques in Haslingden. They have a tearoom attached to the antiques centre.

The antiques (and tearoom) are interestingly housed in a listed former church. Turns out the antiques are a mix of the genuine-a very early Victorian rosewood wardrobe, for example and some cheap repro tat, presumably for the tourists who use the area as a base for exploring the North West.

The tearoom was clean and airy and service was good. I was less pleased with the actual food. Although the usual staples were on offer, I noted that, like several cafes nowadays, they were offering that pub great-the Ploughman’s. Curiosity got the better of me, even though I know that these places seldom get it right. And so it proved here. They’d prettified it. The plate was awash with salad accompanied by baby tomatoes, sliced cucumber and a diced apple. There were three slabs of cheese but only one small bread bun which promptly fell to pieces when I attempted to spread the frozen butter. And the cappuccino was the smallest I’ve seen. Eddie does assure me that the breakfasts are very good, however.

2 comments:

Curmudgeon said...

That's often the problem with a Ploughman's - far too much salad and not enough bread (or indeed sometimes cheese).

I find the Brunning & Price chain generally do a pretty good job of it - had a good one recently in the Sutton Hall near Macclesfield.

RedNev said...

I remember a cartoon in which a man was complaining about his meal in a pub, only to be told, "All the ploughmen around here eat beans on toast."