About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Wednesday, 2 September 2009

The Perfect Ploughman's

In what could just possibly be the most important social survey of the 21st century, West Country Farmhouse Cheesemakers are conducting a ploughman’s census. Pop along to Ploughmanograph and register your vote as to what constitutes the perfect ploughman’s and, if you’re already had it, you can nominate the pub or cafe that produced it.

This is a serious sociological exercise conducted by people who obviously know their subject-note the absence of pork pies, ham and other bastardised ingredients amongst the possible choices.

*The picture is a perfect illustration of what DOESN'T constitute the perfect ploughman's.

6 comments:

Curmudgeon said...

Umm, I think you might have the wrong link there...

Tyson said...

I think you might be right-now corrected-but it does give me an idea for tomorrows blog!

Bailey said...

I was thinking that the meal in your photo looked quite tasty!

Sod ploughmans, though -- just give me a pickled egg in a bag of crisps and I'm happy.

Ed said...

It's a hard job choosing between Granary and Country Loaf but I'd say Granary is for real men.

Penny said...

Does anyone really want a white bap? And coleslaw, although commom, is inappropriate in my view.

Paul Bailey said...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the word "Ploughman's" a term first coined by some marketing or advertising executive back in the early 1970's? It has to be one of the most abused terms, and abused creations of the last 40 years!

Would your average agricultural worker really have gone to all this trouble each day to prepare his lunch? I think not somehow. Still I suppose a hunk of bread and slice of cheese, with the odd pickled onion thrown in, doesn't quite have the same ring to it!