About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Wednesday, 17 February 2010

I've Heard That Song Before

Congratulations to the Kelham Island Tavern on becoming CAMRA’s National Pub of the Year. But...didn’t it win last year? Yes of course it did. It’s become the first pub to retain the title. This is quite remarkable and suggests a pub that is far above any of its rivals. Which, no offence to the team at the KIT, it isn’t.

I know the KIT very well and it is indeed a very good pub-although I’ve always preferred the Fat Cat myself. But can anyone honestly say it has been the best in Britain for two years running? Were its rivals that poor? CAMRA usually stage this award very well and each year the winner will alternate between a nice country pub, a community local, a thriving freehouse etc. A year is a long time in the life of a pub and this award shows CAMRA to be, at best, either lazy or, at worst, guilty of cliqueness.

11 comments:

RedNev said...

Perhaps they provided the judging panel with a real virgin, rather than a goat.

Barm said...

I find it difficult to get excited about awards to the "best pub" or "Champion Beer", as they have so little relevance to my drinking.

Barry said...

The KIT is a great pub and usually good for a tick or two. After the disaster of the floods, this award is well deserved recognition of their fantastic hard work.

Tandleman said...

Ah. The sympathy vote. I agree with Tyson.

Camra Girl said...

I must admit I was surprised to see that the Kelham Island Tavern had won again. It's the only one of the finalists I know, but I agree it's a fine pub. However, it's no secret that the NPOTY award is about promoting different types of pubs. I fear we have shot ourselves in the foot by naming this as NPOTY again.

Captain Jack said...

KIT isn't even the best pub in Sheffield,let alone the country.As usual,Camra are talking out of their arse.

Ian said...

I don't know what went exactly wrong this year but it certainly shows something did. I did think the shortlist looked pretty weak so it may be that KIT was simply the best of a poor bunch.

Michael Stephenson said...

Well just looking at the finalists, since the Crown isn't even the best pub in Wigan, how can you take the list serioulsy?

Eeyore said...

Perhaps if they explained how they came to this decision, people could understand it more?

On the face of it, it seems rather foolish and opens Camra up to accusations of nepotism.

ryan said...

Knowing the people who have worked so hard at the KIT over the last year; this is a just reward. They've put a tremendous amount of effort into getting back into shape after the floods and now it's as good as ever.

Penny said...

I agree with Barm that these kinds of lists are meaningless. However, they do attract media coverage, which is presumably the point of them. Given that, I would have thought it important that it is the right kond of publicity. From comments here it seems that this is not the case. Perhaps there should be a rule that no pub can win it in successive years?