About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Tuesday, 18 May 2010

I Was Young When I Left Home

Well it’s over. The country’s biggest pub festival at the Hare & Hounds came to a frenetic end on Sunday. Yet another excellent marathon slurping session organised by Andy & Lynne and their staff. Frequented by the usual mix of local and national drunkards, it took its toll on many. I even vaguely recall Tandleman calling in.
As usual, on the new beer front, there were a few good ones, several indifferent and some downright dodgy brews.

Beer of the festival: Pictish Columbus. This beautifully hopped little number didn’t last long on the pumps.

Confirmation of what you already know: Tower, whatever the colour of their beers, are poor. Their golden ales just tasted of burnt malt and nothing else. Northumberland-Hoof Harted (ha ha) etc were all wooden. Spinning Dog-yuk.

Best new brewery: Brentwood. All of theirs were quite palatable, with the 6.5% Chockwork Orange proving an interesting old ale brewed with oranges. And fair play to the lass I saw knocking back pints of it.

Worst new brewery: Nelson. Their Gold Galleon was grim and the rest wasn’t much better. Although they come from the garden of hops (Kent), it appears they don’t actually use any in their beers. A smirking band of scoopers informed me that apparently they are notorious as poor brewers. I was told they are “even worse than Bazens and Boggart” and that (somewhat worryingly), “they taste like my granny’s piss.”

Here’s to the next one, but no Nelson, please.

3 comments:

Paul Bailey said...

The scoopers you spoke to Tyson, are right about Nelson. I have never been impressed with their beers, and I am by no means alone amongst local drinkers!

ChrisM said...

Glad to see Northumberland are still churning out badly named crap.

Can't disagree with Pictish Columbus, a fabulous beer - I really wish Pictish beers got a bit further north more often.

Will make it to the 'Dogs' one of these days...

Tandleman said...

Was impressed by Empire from Huddersfield.