About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Monday, 3 May 2010

Marbleous

There’s a new kid on the block. Marble have opened a little brother in the city centre to complement their well established Rochdale Road outlet. Little being the operative word as the bar, at 57 Thomas St, is indeed tiny. Style is of the Post-Industrial Chic and somewhat reminiscent of what’s happened in Leeds which has overtaken Manchester in terms of innovative bars. So it’s good to see Manchester landing a blow for the Red Rose side.

The small room is dominated by the bench seating that runs parallel to the bar. It won’t take many to fill this up on a Friday/Saturday night. In keeping with the uber modern look, beer is dispensed by an innovative gravity dispense system that uses cold water to keep the casks cool. They could probably have put them under the counter and used handpumps, but having them on the bar makes a certain statement.

The plan is to normally have two on at a time and two settling, but this being the opening weekend, there were actually three on. Ginger, Dobber, and Pint-which was on good form. And, at £2.40 a pint, came the sad realisation that central Manchester is now actually cheaper than my locale. There is also a good bottled beer range.

Oh, and saving the most important for last, they have a very impressive cheese list. The waft of Stinking Bishop was like music to my nostrils.

12 comments:

Reluctant Scooper said...

Looks excellent - Dom was enthusing about the place to me the other week. Solid range of bottles too given the list on the board.

I'd love to see more brewers take this approach, small-foothold bars rather than all-things-to-all-people pubs.

Barry said...

Yeah sounds great. I'm a big fan of Marble and will be coming up asap to check this new venue out.

NAM said...

Very convenient for Victoria Station. I shall be gracing them with my custom, I think.

Leigh said...

Thanks for the heads up, Tyson. Marble are wonderful brewers and this venue goes 'on the list'...thanks!!

Gazza Prescott said...

Is this the old "LSTD" place?

Top news, and anywhere opposite the Al Faisal ticks all my boxes...

Dave said...

Yes it was LSTD. After reading this I went straight there this afternoon. Ace. Already Manchester's No 1 in my book.

Dominic, Marble Brewery said...

I'm still a bit annoyed the boss didn't go with my idea of a massive Prince mural, circa Sign o' the times. Now that would have been cool.

Liam said...

A Prince mural would have rocked!
On the strength of this review I'm going to book a half day off to pay a visit.

Eeyore said...

I look forward to visiting it. Design is crucial and far too often I'm afraid that pub and bar owners take the lazy option. You don't have to spend a fortune to get good results; just use a little imagination.

N. Richards said...

What's this nonsense about gravity dispense? Frankly the lack of sparklers is the reason I stopped going in the Marble Arch. They may be able to brew but if they don't know how to serve beer, what's the point?

ChrisM said...

Excellent stuff, I've been wondering what all the cryptic adverts were about! Can't wait to be back in Manchester to visit.

Gravity served beer isn't always to my liking, but the right beer in the right atmosphere will do however it is served I reckon - Marble pint with no sparkler and a huge frothing head is simply unbeatable.

NAM said...

Very bijou. I wandered past this morning hoping for a breakfast pint at about 11:30 but it wasn't obvious whether the bar was open or not. In fact, the post-modern floor covering led me to think that it wasn't actually open for business at all.

Careful planning allowed me to miss my train on my way back and the bar was obviously open then. Beers on were Dobber (£3.40?) and Ginger Marble at £2.70. The plates of cheese I saw being served looked tempting as did the rest of the menu. I think they've got bar snacks well-judged although a little pricey given that there are lots of cheap caffs very close by.

Shame the bar's so small.