About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Thursday, 31 March 2011

Breakfast Beer Tasting: Wentworth Oyster Stout

Wentworth have been brewing since 1999 and are based in the village of Wentworth, South Yorkshire. I’m a fan of their Oatmeal Stout, but can’t recall having their oyster variety before.

The basics: It’s a 500ml bottle that weighs in at 4.8% and claims that it is made with freshly shucked oysters. It was very lively and poured pitch black with a large foamy head. A strong aroma of roast malt and coffee with some liquorice.

Taste: Medium bodied that starts smooth, but then quickly builds to a strong impression of liquorice overwhelmed by roast malts and coffee like bitterness.

Finish: Short burst of charcoal bitterness.

Conclusion: Not bad, but just lacking that extra bite to put it in the top flight. Not sure where the oysters come in, though. One for your Guinness drinking friend.

2 comments:

Baron Orm said...

I quite enjoyed this one, I gave it a 4/5 for being interesting but not fab:

http://www.theormskirkbaron.com/2010/11/wentworth-oyster-stout.html

RedNev said...

Seafood makes me sick, so I'd never touch any beer with oysters in the name with a bargpole.