About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Friday, 29 April 2011

Breakfast Beer Tasting: Struise Rosse 2008

Today is, of course, a special day. A very special day. One we’ve all been waiting for with baited breath. It’s a day when we can all join in and share the moment. And, for such a grand occasion, I am more than willing to break my holiday embargo on breakfast drinking.

So, without further ado, let’s congratulate Open It.

Open It is the beer bloggers mind-meld where we all choose a beer we have been waiting to try and share the experience with our fellow imbibers. I’ve chosen a bottle of Struise Rosse 2008. Why? Because I found it in the beer cupboard and haven’t got a clue how it got in there. But I’m going to drink it anyway.

The basics: It’s 33cl, 6% and unpasteurised and unfiltered. It poured amber with a fluffy off-white head. The aroma was a pleasant mix of yeast, stone fruits (apricot, mainly) and light spices.

Taste: Medium bodied with a very smooth mouthfeel. It was also dryer than I was expecting. There’s some bread yeast flavour on the palate along with overripe cherries and apricots and a little tartness that comes through after the first mouthful.

Finish: Medium dry with a little sourness.

Conclusion: Surprisingly easy drinking Belgium ale. Would be a good introduction for the Belgium beer novice. One for your Lambic hating great-aunt. 

3 comments:

Mark said...

"Because I found it in the beer cupboard and haven’t got a clue how it got in there. But I’m going to drink it anyway." Brilliant!

I like this beer, and Struise, a lot, but I don't think it's meant to be sour... I've found a few Struise beers have picked up some nasties in the bottle, which is a shame.

Tyson said...

I surprised myself by liking it. Luckily, it wasn't that sour-just a snatch in the background, and that didn't spoil it anyway.

Roy said...

I love this beer and find it's an excellent accompaniment to most meat dishes. In fact, it goes well with most food!