About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Tuesday, 31 May 2011

Breakfast Beer Tasting: Kernel Export India Porter

Tuesday morning. What does that mean? Yep, it’s Kernel time.

The basics: It’s a 5.7% and bottle-conditioned. This one was a real gusher-it must be the liveliest bottle I’ve ever had by far. Eventually it poured a dark brown with good carbonation and a creamy beige head. The aroma was of roast coffee and smoky whisky.

Taste: Initially quite a velvet mouthfeel and then the flavours start hitting home. Caramel and roast malt come through with resinous hop bitterness dominating in the end. Dry and satisfying on the palate.

Finish: Smooth with a short burst of medium bitterness.

Conclusion: I’m not exactly sure what an Indian Export Porter is supposed to taste like, but this a good find for fans of Porter. It slips down easy enough in a way that belies its strength and is another Kernel winner. 

3 comments:

stephanos_lemon said...

sounds right up my street. Did you get it from beer merchants?

Tyson said...

Yes, it was.

Ian B said...

A great beer. Like you I didn't know what to expect from it but I was very pleasantly surprised.