About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Friday, 23 September 2011

Breakfast Beer Tasting: Dark Star Imperial Stout

Dark Star Imperial Stout is the West Sussex brewer’s interpretation of this famous style. Earlier this year they, along with several other brewers, were involved in a project to bring the style back to St Petersburg.

Basics: It’s 330ml and is bottle-conditioned. Tipping the scales at 10.5% by alcohol volume, it’s definitely not a session beer. Is it just me or are these breakfast beers becoming stronger?

It poured dark as expected with a very small beige head. The aroma was a rather enticing heavy dose of dark fruits, liquorice and a little chocolate.

Taste: Full bodied and velvety. The alcohol is there, but is extremely well hidden. There’s liquorice and a hint of pepper, but the overall impression is a very drinkable blend of dark stone-fruits: cherries, plums and jujube.

Finish: Dried dark fruit and a little coffee.

Conclusion: The moreish strong fruit flavours are combined with the Target hops to deliver a very impressive beer. This would be a good beer at any strength, but at 10.5% it’s a stunning achievement.

1 comment:

Darren T said...

I had a great bottle of this a couple of years back, but I think I must just have had really bad luck with it since. The last couple of bottles I've opened have poured flat as a proverbial pancake and have tasted distinctly... average. I've got one each of the 2008, 2009 and 2010 vintages in the cupboard though, so I'm keeping them for a while and hoping they'll improve.