About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Wednesday, 23 November 2011

Breakfast Beer Tasting: Crouch Vale Yakima Gold

As I said yesterday, Amarillo is a great hop, and one of my favourites. Today I thought I would put Crouch Vale’s offering to the breakfast beer challenge.

Basics: This is bottle 191 out of a limited run of 500. It’s 500ml and a session strength 4.2%. Quite unusually for a beer of that strength, it’s also bottle-conditioned. It poured a very pale gold with plenty of carbonation and a slow forming off-white head. The aroma was light citrus tones and a touch of spice.

Taste: A very smooth mouthfeel with a moderate, but pleasant, citrus kick. All you would expect-grapefruit, lemon etc combined with a slight biscuit undertone. I was worried that this might be too thin, but it just errs on the right side.

Finish: Quite smooth with just enough citrus edge to keep you happy.

Conclusion: Not a hop monster, but an accomplished use of Amarillo in a relatively low ABV beer. Very pleasantly refreshing; it proves good bottle-conditioned beers can be achieved without pumping up the volume.

No comments: