About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Wednesday, 24 October 2012

Breakfast Beer Tasting: Brewdog Alpha Dog


This is an existential Red Ale. No I don’t know what that is, either. But it’s Brewdog, innit? It’s actually brewed for the Norwegian market; make of that what you will.

This is a very reasonable 4.5% and comes in the standard 330ml bottle. It poured amber with a small off-white head. The aroma was very subdued: a little citrus and some sweet malt. Taste wise, it was also surprisingly subdued. There’s some caramel, a little red berry fruit and a tinge of a dry hop bite.

Look around carefully before whispering it, but this is, dare I say it, a rather dull beer. Not a bad beer, but substantially lacking in substance. Now I know the Norwegians don’t have a particular craving for dull beer, so I’m not sure what the story is here. But if you come to this looking for a Brewdog ass kicking, this isn’t for you.

No comments: