About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Thursday, 21 March 2013

Breakfast Beer Tasting: Atlantic Discovery Red Celtic Bitter with Cinnamon & Orange


After the last, rather disappointing, outing for a flavoured Atlantic beer, I thought I’d give them another chance. So we now have cinnamon and orange: two things that I’m not adverse to. So that bodes well. Or does it...

It’s bottle-conditioned, 330ml and comes in-to me-a surprisingly strong 5.5%. It poured dark amber with little carbonation and a small, beige head. The aroma was fairly subdued; just a hint of orange and spice.

It’s a medium-bodied beer with quite a stiff malt backbone. There’s some orange and toffee and a little spice in the background, but nowhere near as fruity as I was expecting. There’s also a little unexpected acidity that gives it a slightly unpleasant astringent aftertaste.

This was created to be drunk with dark pheasant and other game and may work on that level. However, on its own it comes across as a very strong bitter with only hints of what it promises. Quite disappointing.

Tyson says: Where’s the orange and cinnamon? 

No comments: