About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Monday, 18 March 2013

Hawkshead Beer Festival



Saturday night found some of the Bury CAMRA soaks, I mean beer experts, in far-off climes. Staveley in Cumbria to be precise. Why Staveley? Why for the Hawkshead beer festival, of course. Why on earth would you visit Cumbria otherwise? The setup is great; the festival is split over two floors and between two bars. I’ve not been to the Saturday evening session before and, as forecast, it was very busy. However, a good time was had by all

Highlights
Allgates Mosaic: This hop seems to be doing the rounds at the moment but this is the first cask offering I’ve had. Beautiful notes of lemon, pine and tropical fruit.

Allgates Hopgate: New Zealand hops in this refreshing beauty. My tasting notes simply say “Allgates!” “Hoppy!” ‘Nuff said.

Arbor Hoptical Delusion #5: Arbor, for my money, produce the best bottled beers in the UK. And judging by this hoptastic treat, their cask beer is right up there up as well.

Arbor Triple Hop #5: A Pale Ale brewed with Galaxy, Topaz and Green Bullet. Fruity and dry.

Bristol Beer Factory Bitter Kiwi: Lovely mango and gooseberry hop edge.

Arbor Yakima Valley: Second time in two weeks for me. A stunning American IPA. Copious amounts of six hops give this complex beer a resinous pine edge that lingers long on the palate.

Bristol Beer Factory Bitter Californian: This UK/USA American Brown Ale hybrid split opinion. Visually difficult for those who associate pale beers with hops. But I liked it. The Newport, Nugget and late added Chinook really gave this a crisp citrus edge.

There were several other excellent beers-Tiny Rebel springs to mind, but the Tyson beer tasting machine failed to record them for some reason. I can’t say for certain, but I suspect alcohol played its part. 

2 comments:

steve lamond said...

Sounds like you need a Bristol trip!

Tyson said...

You could be right!