About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Wednesday, 1 January 2014

Breakfast Beer Tasting: Partizan 7 Grain Porter


So welcome to 2014. Let’s hope it’s a good one without any fear. Most likely, it will just be like 2013 but we will be older and poorer. But enough of my future. What better way to see in the new year than with a 7 grain Porter? Ok, the light has gone in the beer cupboard (last 20 years, my arse) and this is what emerged. It’s a 330ml bottle and is 5.6%. The label is very smart, very clever and is indicative of Partizan’s approach to labelling.

It poured pretty lively and settled down to being a very dark, almost black, brown with a large tan head. The aroma was quite pungent: leather, molasses, maybe a bit of caramel and a hint of smokiness. The body was a bit thinner than you’d expect but the flavours do eventually all kick in. You’ve got ground coffee, dark chocolate, treacle, prunes and a definite twang of residual sugar that unfortunately lasts into the bitter-sweet finish.

Tyson says; More miss than hit, this really didn’t do anything for me.

3 comments:

John Clarke said...

Rarely do I take issue with anything on this blog but I have to say I tried this beer a couple of months ago and thought it was superb (indeed Patrizan don't seem to have put a foot wrong this year). All down to personal taste at the end of the day though isn't it?

Happy New Year by the way.

Tyson said...

John

As you say, all a matter of personal taste. I'm a big fan of Partizan but this one just didn't do anything for me.

Chris Hargreaves said...

Funnily enough I was going to say the opposite. In my view, Partizan have dropped a few balls this year. Some of their new beers have just been a little wide of the mark.