About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Thursday, 2 January 2014

Trouble At The Lass


Today’s M.E.N carries a story on well-known Manchester boozer, the Lass O’Gowrie. From its inception as a brewpub (not very good, if truth be told) it has remained a famous landmark on the local drinking scene. We’ve had the heady days of Whitbread guest beers-Castle Eden, anyone-through to the freedom of pubco restrictions to a falling in standards and back again. And then Greene King took over. Perhaps the writing was already on the wall, I don't know. But it’s certainly struggled in recent times. Student dynamics have changed since I held court in there and it hasn’t been helped by the growth of real ale/craft beer-whatever-in other areas. And the BBC move seems like the last straw. On the face of it, it seems like another case of an unhelpful and unrealistic pub operator pissing on their chips. However, there remains a glimmer of hope for the Lass and I agree it needs to build itself as a destination pub. I will watch developments with interest.

You can read the article here

4 comments:

RedNev said...

Get Tandleman on the case - he's very fond of the lasses.

Jason said...

I remember when it made the middle room no smoking. I went there just for that!!

Tyson said...

Nev
You know him so well:)

Jason
Yes, it was always hard to get a seat in there

Gene said...

I don't see much hope here, at all. It sounds like all they are doing is putting Locale on the pumps. That does not equate to qaulity. What we need is less Locale, not more,