About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Tyson is a beer hound and cheese addict living in the beery metropolis paradise known as Manchester
If the people are buying tears, I'll be rich someday, Ma

Sunday, 24 August 2014

Breakfast Beer Tasting: Beavertown Quelle Saison

This morning’s breakfast pick-me-up comes courtesy of a dry-hopped saison from Beavertown. A canned dry-hopped saison, no less. I know what you’re thinking: “has the world stopped turning and nobody told us or has he been on the herbal cigarettes again?” But I kid you not; I told you canning was the future. And saisons are so retro; they’re still the future as well. The first thing to say is that I do like the Beavertown can designs. They’re very colourful and striking but, of course, I’m here for the beer.

It’s 4.1%. It poured a hazy, pale yellow with good carbonation and a large off-white head. The aroma was slightly subdued but a pleasant mix of pineapple, lemon, spiced wheat and a little pepper. The beer is light on the palate with the hops heavily dominating. Now the history of this is that it started out as a pale ale, had a French yeast infusion and then was dry-hopped with American hops. So perhaps that’s not surprising. It’s very dry with lots of tropical fruit tones and only a hint of sourness that alludes to its claim to be a saison. I found it very refreshing and moreish.

Tyson says: A saison? I think not. An excellent, slightly exotic pale ale: yes. 

3 comments:

Sue said...

Do you know of anywhere that sells a range of craft in cans for a reasonable delivery charge? I'm looking at The Real Ale Company - beers are a good price but delivery seems to be £7 a box/pack.

Sue said...

Do you know of anywhere that sells a range of craft in cans for a reasonable delivery charge? I'm looking at The Real Ale Company - beers are a good price but delivery seems to be £7 a box/pack.

Tyson said...

That is about the going rate, give or take 20p